6 SIMPLE TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN
Alright, you think it’s an effort to look after your skin, that it all sounds like hard work especially in the morning, when all you want to do is dress yourself in a way that results in you not being an embarrassment to mankind. You just want out grab your coffee and head out the door. So let’s simplify it for you, here are 6 simple tips for healthy skin that you can easily work into any routine, no matter how short.
1. Protect yourself from the sun.
Exposure to sun, particularly long-term exposure, can cause wrinkles, age spots and other skin problems, as well as increase the risk of skin cancer.
Basic sun protection includes:
- Using sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 15, taking care to reapply regularly.
- Avoid direct sunlight sun as much as you can, seek out the shade especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun is at it’s strongest.
- Wear protective clothing. Cover your skin with tightly woven long-sleeved shirts, long pants and wide-brimmed hats.
2. Don’t smoke
Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles. Smoking narrows the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin, which decreases blood flow. This depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are important to skin health. Smoking also damages collagen and elastic. Elastin are the fibers that give your skin its strength and elasticity. For some of you this is a big ask, but the overall long term benefits far out way the few seconds of pleasure you get from the cigarette.
3. Treat your skin gently
Daily shaving and cleansing takes its toll on your skin. To keep it gentle:
- Limit bath time. Hot water and long showers or baths remove oils from your skin. Limit your bath or shower time, and use warm — rather than hot — water.
- Avoid strong soaps. Strong soaps and detergents can strip oil from your skin. Instead, choose mild cleansers.
- When shaving be careful and protect your skin. To protect and lubricate your skin, apply a good quality natural shave oil, such as our Big Soothe Shave Oil. For the closest shave, use a clean, sharp razor. Shave in the direction the hair grows on your 1st pass, not against it.
- Don’t rub your skin with a towel, pat your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains on your skin.
- Moisturize your skin. Use a 100% natural moisturiser for your skin type, that not only protects your skin but also feeds it, giving your skin the nutrition that it requires.
2. Eat healthier
A healthy diet can help you look and feel your best. Our body is our engine that gives us a life to live, it requires the right fuel to do this, otherwise it will stutter, start to creek and crack. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. In particular cut down on portion size and my old nemesis, Sugar. The consequences on the skin of excess sugar intake are quite profound.
5. Reduce stress
Leading a stressful life can make your skin more sensitive and trigger acne breakouts and other skin problems. Regular exercise managing your work life balance is very important. Everybody is different, develop a system that works for you, that helps you get that balance right. Remember all work and no play takes a great toll on the body and your skin.
6. Drink water daily
Water is an essential element of a great skincare regime. We all know that drinking enough water is essential to maintain a balance of good health and also that drinking enough water and keeping hydrated can actually enhance the appearance of your skin. The majority of us do not drink enough H20.
That wasn’t so hard was it? OK, except for the quitting smoking. The rest are just ensuring that you maximise the way you go about your daily chores to improve your skincare routine without hassle and without even spending money.